For those unfamiliar with Malay, Hari Raya literally means 'Day of Celebration'. It's to celebrate the first day of the Muslim month, Syawal, for Muslims after a month of fasting in Ramadhan. Generally it's a total blow-out celebration in Malaysia, even the Muslims here are overwhelmed. More info here.
I had a short yet sweet Raya in Alor Setar, my kampung. Arrived there 2 days before the big day, chilled at my grandparents' house, stayed oblivious to the women's healthy doses of drama and blabbering, played with my small cousins and stuffed myself with rice, ketupat palas (triangular-shaped glutinous rice) and rendang (local spicy meat dish). All in all, it was a simple, lovely Raya.
I played bunga api (sparklers) with my cousins, aged 3 and 6. Though the 6-year-old was more afraid of approaching the pelita (oil lamp) to light the bunga api and I had to lit up every single one for her, I had my share of fun by flapping and swinging my arms with a sparkler in each hand and ran in circles around the huge lawn. When can you ever be a kid besides that very moment?
Slept over at my half-sister's house I did on the very last night before we left. The next morning I feebly attempted to ride one of my half-cousin's bike, which I failed successfully by yelling my head off each time I felt the bike was tipping over. The boys were even sarcastic: "Come, Mat, let's go and have a nap first", as I was trembling on the evil bicycle.
I haven't ride a freakin' bicycle since I was 6, so there. Therefore now, I completely forgot how to ride. My dignity had been agonisingly eroded in huge clumps thanks to this sad fact. I WILL LEARN!
After hours of rain, being caught in the jam with bright people who wanted to go back at the same time as us and endless times of sleeping and waking up, we arrived back home at 3 am. Nothing is better than home sweet house.
Another eventful Raya goes by. Not to mention a nice pile of duit Raya (Raya money).
PS: Avoid being on the road in long hours during your menses. It is horrendous.
haha glad you had a good raya
ReplyDeletei had a good raya too...gradually..lol
ive spent half of my duit raya already!woo!:Dlol