Thursday, September 13, 2007

Embracing Ramadhan


You only come to realise that TIME really flies and disappear with each passing second of your life whenever Ramadhan approaches and gives you a big bear hug; a gentle reminder of reality. Only to you, it wasn't as gentle. It's puasa month already? But-but--ohmygosh--I still can
remember clearly the puasa days of last year! The sudden blow of reality comes bludgeoning your safe little egg of a world--you don't even know if you should worry, panic, hyperventilate, cry in pieces, tear your hair off, chanting mantras of self-assurance, etc.-- the list is endless. All this in about 15 seconds before you decide to stop the mental torture and accept the facts, and embrace Ramadhan back with equal love. Sigh.

I personally love the Ramadhan atmosphere. The sense of containing ourselves during the day (the air of "I'm puasa-ing"), the congregation of families and friends for buka puasa and the lovely Ramadhan bazaars! The seemingly endless row of food stalls along the long stretch of road and you get to see all the local food there is, making your choices as you walk amidst the moving crowd; families, groupies, couples,
aweks, rempits--the lot. Thing is, it's more exhilarating being in a busying crowd than a dissipating one; the fun is just being in the midst of excitement (haha) and purpose of berbuka puasa. True, food does bring people together.

First day of puasa gone. And I can't wait for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment